Saskatoon-born, Toronto-based singer-songwriter Melanie Peterson joined us again, this time with her original holiday-themed love songs. Melanie has been deemed “Mary Poppins with a broken heart” by the BBC and a “superb songwriter” by Joe Warmington of the Toronto Sun. She was last on our show in 2015.
We talked about:
- Julia Cameron’s The Artist’s Way
- Producer Chris Birkett
- Using a pre-chorus to introduce tension
- What do we mean when we say “hooky”?
- Writing from the heart vs. the head
- Doing “pages” first thing in the morning
- Having a Christmas song hit
- How the kids are releasing on vinyl
- How much repetition is enough? (Tim Stead and the Scenic Sound say you can never have enough)